Friday, February 5, 2010

Unlocked Thoughts


I, Michael, used to carry a plethora of work keys, some of them I use often and others I still have yet to figure out what they consistently unlock (good 'ol TP jiggle). Maybe one day I'll catalog, sort, and secretly label each key and then inwardly chuckle at my unoriginality and cleverness. Maybe.

At the turn of the year, I asked Katie some thoughts and questions that have been going through my head. Questions like: "How have you been growing this past year where God has placed us?" or "What do you think God has been teaching you about Himself this past year in our marriage relationship or your relationships with others?" or "Want to grab some Vietnamese noodle soup (aka Pho)?". Though the last question had made us more hungry, frustrated and impatient for it's filling sustenance than directing us to meditate on heavenly things, it was a question that had the easiest answer.

We are beginning to see God's hand in placing us in camping ministry this past season through the relationships He has allowed us to engage in, cultivate, and move away from. I would like to think that I have grown more in the knowledge and understanding of who God is, and who I am in light of that, yet it is hard to pin-point any single "aha!" moment last year. Rather, the growth has been gradual, slow, and consistent as my small potted plants in our kitchen. These plants just need occasional pruning and watering and have been growing diligently. I don't know what kinds of plants they are, I just saw 'em at Stater Bros and reminisced about gardening with my late grandpa so I bought them. That was about a year ago, and since then they have been replanted in larger pots to accommodate their growth (They may actually be ready to be transplanted into a bigger pot again!). Every now and again as I'm watering or pruning these sheltered indoor plants, I'm reminded of Pslams 1.


Blessed is the man
who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of the sinners,
no sits in the seat of scoffers;
but his delight is in the law of the Lord,
and on his law he meditates day and night.

He is like a tree
planted by streams of water
that yields its fruit in its season,
and its leaf does not wither.
In all that he does, he prospers.

I feel as God has been allowing Katie and I to grow together and has allowed us to prosper where He has planted us. Questions from various church leaders, friends, and personal journal entries, reminded me that we need to be faithful to where God has us now versus where we think we are going to be in the next three years. I had a conversation with a friend who said that when he was young, he remembers being in a similar place being asked a similar questions along the lines of, "...so this (input current stage of your life) is temporary right? When are you going to move onto a real life/job/follow God's true calling for your life?"

I spent the past year thinking through others questions, questioning our purpose in light of what we think is God's plan for us, and I ashamedly admit that think I lost sight of who God is, which is probably more important than what I think we should be accomplishing in our 20's. I'm still not absolutely sure about the why's of where we have been placed, but I am certain that God is in control, and that He does not make mistakes.

Therefore, we shall continue to seek God's face in the upcoming spring season here at Thousand Pines, hopefully post more, and continue to enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment